The University of Otago’s International Marketing and Recruitment Team sits within the Division of External Engagement and is responsible for the recruitment of international students, enhancing Otago’s profile internationally, and identifying business development opportunities.
This newly created in-market country advisor role will help to set and achieve challenging student recruitment targets for the India market and will be responsible for developing and delivering the associated recruitment strategy and tactics.
In addition, the post holder will also work closely with marketing colleagues to assist with profile-raising and publicity activity for the region; be responsible for budget management; and co-ordinate in-country visits for academic and professional colleagues as appropriate.
The Country Officer for India is responsible for delivering the University of Birmingham’s recruitment activities across the country. The post holder will also be expected to identify development opportunities for the University. The post-holder will be line managed by the Regional Manager for South Asia (based in New Delhi) and will work closely with the Regional Director (based in New Delhi), whilst working effectively with three other Country Officers based throughout India. The post-holder will also be expected to work closely with colleagues based in our UK and Dubai campuses.
The Country Officer will be expected to carry out a wide range of activities including visiting schools and universities to deliver presentations, supporting the University’s partner institutions, representing the University at recruitment events and organising talks for applicants, parents, sponsors and agents.
The post-holder will be required to travel extensively, often for long periods of time and including weekends and holidays. The post-holder must be able to operate effectively and autonomously under these circumstances.
The post-holder will be employed by Birmingham Global Limited (BGL). BGL is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University of Birmingham (UoB) which has been detailed by UoB through an agency agreement to provide an office and support services for UoB’s activities in India. The role of Country Officer will be home based working across India.
- Promote, enhance and develop the international profile of the University as a provider of high-quality education, an attractive study destination and an internationally reputable partner to engage with.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the full education offer at Otago, entry requirements, application procedures, scholarships and support services, as well as the University’s core research strengths and international rankings.
- Be responsible for the design and delivery of effective recruitment market plans and strategies to maximise student and revenue growth from India.
- Carry out the day-to-day activity required to realise the objectives of this marketing and recruitment strategy:
- Attend industry education fairs and recruitment events, undertake school and college visits, visit agencies across India and the Subcontinent to meet and advise prospective students and build relationships with counsellors
- Support conversion efforts by professionally managing direct inquiries from students, parents, education agents, counsellors in a timely and accurate manner and following up applications with colleagues at Otago
- Event manage a range of recruitment-focused events such as offer-holder briefings and pre-departure events by booking venue(s), sending invitations, attending events across India, etc.
- Organise and support agent workshops, recruitment events with schools, alumni and other stakeholders, visits in India and across the Subcontinent
- Support promotional campaigns such as the promotion of scholarships to offer-holders through the creation and distribution of materials to relevant stakeholders.
- Conduct market research by gathering contact information for high school counsellors and competitor institution entry requirements from India. Source, analyse and provide India market data. Use market insights to support the continuous improvement of student recruitment strategies, planning and forecasting.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date knowledge of Government education policy, tertiary trends, funding sources, transnational education opportunities, scholarships, news and media relevant to the market.
- Maintain a positive and effective working relationship with key stakeholders at the University of Otago, with Education New Zealand colleagues and with Otago’s education agents and institutional partners.
- Educated to Master’s degree level or equivalent, preferably from New Zealand/ UK/ Ireland
- Understand the opportunities and challenges affecting the global higher education market
- Demonstrable (3+ years) student recruitment experience of working in India
- Proven experience of planning and implementing effective recruitment and conversion plans to maximise student growth from priority markets
- Experience in managing an extensive agent network for student recruitment purposes
- Understand the importance of service delivery and show a willingness to work with colleagues across the institution to collectively work towards the strategic goals of the University of Otago
- Highly developed written and oral communication and presentation skills, including use of digital and social media for business purposes
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise demanding workloads and meet deadlines in a pressurised environment
- Willingness to adopt a flexible working approach by working unsocial hours, weekends, or occasional public holidays when required
- Ability to undertake business-related travel in market on an unrestricted basis (indicative 20 weeks per year), and undertake visits to New Zealand for training purposes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, tactfully and diplomatically with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders.
Mumbai / Gurugram