The University of Birmingham is a global institution, offering an inspiring education to our students, and undertaking critically important research. We are a place of open, critical thinking, and the creation, sharing and dissemination of knowledge. With our ambition to be a leading global university, we will tackle global challenges, so that our research extends beyond regional and national boundaries to have international impact. Our students form an international community, and we will provide them with an outstanding international experience, both at their home campuses and through high levels of mobility.
External Relations is the division responsible for delivering our University to the world and prides itself in seizing opportunities that will enhance the profile and reputation of the University. We engage with many different audiences to build purposeful relationships internally, locally, nationally and internationally. We enable those who wish to apply to study on our courses to make informed choices. We recognise that we are strongest when we work together and take pride in upholding our core values of being ambitious, innovative, open, collaborative and responsible.
The Country Officer will be responsible for delivering the University of Birmingham’s recruitment activities across North & Central India. The post holder will be based in New Delhi and will also be expected to identify development opportunities for the University in their region. The post-holder will be line managed by the Regional Manager for South Asia and Middle East (based in New Delhi) and will work closely with the Regional Director (based in New Delhi), whilst working effectively with three other Country Officers based throughout India. The post-holder will also be expected to work closely with colleagues based in our UK and Dubai campuses.
The Country Officer will be expected to carry out a wide range of activities including visiting schools and universities to deliver presentations, supporting the University’s partner institutions, representing the University at recruitment events and organising talks for applicants, parents, sponsors and agents.
The post-holder will be required to travel extensively, often for long periods of time and including weekends and holidays. The post-holder must be able to operate effectively and autonomously under these circumstances.
The post-holder will be employed by Birmingham Global Limited (BGL). BGL is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University of Birmingham (UoB) which has been detailed by UoB through an agency agreement to provide an office and support services for UoB’s activities in India.
- Devising and implementing student recruitment activities for India and under the guidance of the Regional Manager
- Organising and co-ordinating a plan of activity to recruit students to the University of Birmingham UK and Dubai campuses
- To represent and promote the University at higher education events in schools and colleges and fairs throughout India. This will involve delivering presentations, attending HE / agent fairs and providing individual guidance to prospective students and key influencers.
- To proactively generate new leads across a range of marketing and recruitment channels and to effectively manage the enquiry pipeline, including the delivery of efficient lead qualification processes
- To work closely with your colleagues at the India Institute (based in New Delhi) in order to support activities to recruit students to the University of Birmingham
- To support the activities of the Regional Director of the India Institute
- To arrange and support incoming visits from the UK and Dubai campuses
- To facilitate all administrative duties associated with the student recruitment activities.
- The post-holder will identify new schools for engagement and plans for recruitment activities with those schools
- Working with the Regional Manager to take responsibility for managing academic visits where possible
- The post holder will engage with the University’s partners to support students and answer their admission related queries.
- The post holder will work effectively with external stakeholders such as educational agents and the University’s partner institutions to deliver joint recruitment activities
- Using experience and judgement to identify, assess and recommend suitable agents for appointment as the University’s representatives
- Monitoring on-going performance of any agents to ensure that expectations in terms of quality and criteria are met, that any under-performance is addressed and that recruitment targets are set each year
- Manage relationships with other companies delivering student recruitment services to the University of Birmingham. This will involve acting as a key point of contact on behalf of the University as well as engaging internal stakeholders with the external companies.
- Deliver regular training to agents, covering the University’s USPs and admissions / compliance processes
- Work closely with the Admissions Office to offer support in processing applications which may include issuing offers to applicants, verifying supporting documents and supporting other areas of admissions processing throughout the cycle.
- Using available sources of information, such as the UCAS Qualifications Equivalents Guide, NARIC Equivalents web site and acquired personal expertise to develop a thorough and detailed understanding of a range of qualifications (including foundation programmes), how they equate to the UK education system and their suitability for admission to programmes at Birmingham
- Ensuring regular contact with Admissions staff, both face to face and by telephone and email, to advise on eligibility criteria for overseas qualifications, both academic requirements and English Language requirements
- Qualifications at least to first degree level
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills to credibly deal with a wide range of contacts, both internally and externally, and at all levels from potential students to vice chancellors and diplomats
- Excellent presentation skills
- High level of enthusiasm, personal commitment and independence to undertake lengthy periods of travel without supervision
- Problem solving and organisational skills to deal with complex and difficult situations autonomously as they arise
- A high level of literacy and attention to detail to produce clear, concise reports and strategies
- High level of numeracy and prior experience of managing budgets and analysing basic statistical information
- Tact, diplomacy and negotiating skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- IT skills, particularly Microsoft office packages
- Previous experience of working in an HE environment or similar for 2-5 years.
- Experience of formulating and / or implementing marketing or recruitment plans